Pitch your research to non-experts in three minutes. That is what the Doctoral Derby, our yearly contest for PhD candidates and postdocs, is all about.

Over the course of three months, the contenders learn to explain their research in a simple and effective way. First, by writing a compelling summary of their research and, second, by presenting it in front of a physical audience, all with a general public of non-experts in mind.

Every step in the competition comes with a training. The nine finalists, three of each Doctoral School, get the chance to record a professionally edited video of their research pitch, in collaboration with Science Figured Out. The public vote winner and jury winner of the Doctoral Derby both receive a working credit of 500 euro.

After two digital editions, we are aiming for a full-on physical event in 2022. The contenders will be prepared to pitch on a physical stage, in front of an audience. In case the epidemiological situation won’t allow us to host an audience, the candidates themselves will still pitch on a physical stage, while everything will be broadcasted live.

Click here to find out more!

This is a milestone in my career. I’d like to thank the VUB for this opportunity. I learned a lot, but it’s not just about learning, it was also so much fun! I encourage all my colleagues to participate in the Doctoral Derby.

Radwa Moanis

Doctoral Derby 2021 public vote winner