What is Citizen Science?
“Citizen science is scientific research that is entirely or partially conducted by non-scientists (citizens), often in collaboration with or supervised by professional scientists. The participating citizens in citizen science are called ‘citizen scientists'”. (Scivil)
The European Citizen Science Association (ECSA) describes it as follows: Citizen science is an ‘umbrella’ term that describes a variety of ways in which the public participate in science. The main characteristics are that: (1) citizens are actively involved in research, in partnership or collaboration with scientists or professionals; and (2) there is a genuine outcome, such as new scientific knowledge, conservation action or policy change. ECSA developed ‘10 principles of citizen science’, which are available in a number of languages. More recently, the citizen science community developed the ‘Characteristics of citizen science’.
Citizen science takes place in diverse fields, including ecology, astronomy, medicine, computer science, history – and many more. And citizen science can happen at a range of different scales – from local projects to continental and global scales, and from short projects to those that occur over decades!
support and network
Are you a researcher and do you want to start or improve a citizen science project? Or are you wondering whether citizen science is suited for your project and research question? We’re glad to help you!
- Contact Catherine.Morel (at) vub.be (02 629 12 82) and Floor.Keersmaekers (at) vub.be (02 629 30 88)
- Become part of a VUB Community of Practice! Network & exchange practices with colleagues and get informed on events, trainings, funding calls etc. related to citizen science. If you’re interested, please contact us at the above adresses.
- Check colleagues’ projects below
- Find tips, tools, manuals (mostly in Dutch) on the website of Scivil, het Vlaamse Kenniscentrum voor Citizen Science
UPCOMING EVENTS and calls
- 10 May 2021 – Online workshop: common challenges in citizen science (organised by Scivil)
- 15 June 2021 deadline for applications – Do you run an initiative that actively engages the public with science? Would you like to raise international visibility for your project and be part of a global Science Engagement community? Showcase your work in front of an international audience and expert jury at Falling Walls Engage – Call for Applications 2021.
Citizen Science @ VUB
An overview of past and current Citizen Science projects at VUB. (If your project is not yet on this list, please let us know!)
Amai! brings citizens and artificial intelligence experts together to develop smart AI solutions for work, climate, health en mobility.
Op dit online platform delen detectoristen, onderzoekers en erfgoedmedewerkers hun archeologische metaaldeectievondsten en kennis.
De moederlijke stamlijn opstellen van zoveel mogelijk Vlamingen, om nieuwe inzichten te verwerven in het mitochondriale DNA.
Bugs 2 The Rescue
Citizens collaborate with scientists to stop the spread of invasive exotic aquatic plants.
Brengt ons crimineel verleden tot leven!
Burgerwetenschap als breekijzer voor de ontsluiting en digitalisering van talig erfgoed uit noord en zuid